The Final Nail by Stefan Ahnhem

Nothing like picking up a book that is the final in a trilogy. Saves reading the previous books. Here the chief of Police Sleizner is still up to no good ( I am assuming he has been and getting away with it in the previous books) and now is once again being tracked by his arch enemy Dunja Hougaard, an ex police officer. She is set up in a boat house with top of the range electronic equipment listening in and watching him waiting for a mis-step. And of course it does come.

Not far a way, two bodies are found in the water by a reluctant kayaker, one shot in the head and the other strangled. The difficulty is that the person shot is Mogens Klinge, head of Special Services and far too important to be found dead. At every stage of the investigation, Sleizner intercedes and twists and turns it so that it is facing in the wrong direction. Of course, this can’t go on for ever but there are a fair few deaths before we get to that point.

It’s quite a long book so I found myself jumping a middle section where I got bogged down and felt that the book wasn’t moving on very fast.

The story had just enough to engage me and to make it a fun read, a little breather if you like, before I go back to the books that make me think a little bit harder. This one serves it up on a plate for you.